Israel OKs suspension of aerial activity
By KATHY GANNON, Associated Press Writer
The airstrike , when it leveled a building where they had taken shelter. The deadliest attack in nearly three weeks of warfare forced Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to cut short a Mideast mission and increased world pressure on the United States to back an end to the fighting.
The stunning bloodshed pushed American peace efforts to a crucial juncture, as , which said it no longer would negotiate a U.S. peace package without an unconditional cease-fire. U.N. chief
Throughout the day, workers pulled dirt-covered bodies of young boys and girls — dressed in the shorts and T-shirts they had been sleeping in — out of the rubble of the three-story building.
Two extended families, the Shalhoubs and the Hashems, had gathered for shelter from another night of Israeli bombardment in the border area when the 1 a.m. strike brought the building down.
"I was so afraid. There was dirt and rocks and I couldn't see. Everything was black," said Noor Hashem, 13, whose five siblings were killed.
Noor was pulled out of the ruins by her uncle, whose wife and five children also died.
Israel apologized for the deaths but blamed Hezbollah guerrillas, saying they had fired rockets into northern Israel from near the building. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said the campaign to crush Hezbollah would continue, telling Rice it could last another two weeks.
"We will not stop this battle, despite the difficult incidents this morning," he told his Cabinet after the strike, according to a participant. "If necessary, it will be ."
The U.N. Security Council held an emergency meeting to debate a resolution demanding an immediate cease-fire — a step Washington has stood nearly alone at the council in refusing until the disarmament of Hezbollah is assured.
In a jab at the United States, Annan told the council in unusually frank terms he was "deeply dismayed" his previous calls for a halt were ignored.
"Action is needed now before many more children, women and men become casualties of a conflict over which they have no control," he said.
After news of the deaths emerged, Rice telephoned Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora and said she would stay in Jerusalem to continue work on a peace package, rather than make a planned Sunday visit to Beirut. .
Rice decided to cut her Mideast trip short and return to Washington on Monday morning.
British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who only days earlier gave his support to the U.S. stance, struck a more urgent note Sunday, saying Washington must work faster to put together the broader deal it seeks.
"We have to get this now. We have to speed this whole process up," Blair said. "This has got to stop and stop on both sides."
But Saniora said talk of a larger peace package must wait until the firing stops.
"We will not negotiate until the Israeli war stops shedding the blood of innocent people," he told a gathering of foreign diplomats.
But he underlined that Lebanon stands by ideas for disarming Hezbollah that it put forward earlier this week and that Rice praised.
He took a tough line and hinted that any Hezbollah response to the airstrike in Qana was justified.
he said, praising Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah.
Hezbollah said on its Al-Manar television that "the massacre at Qana will not go unanswered."
The largest toll from a single Israeli strike in past weeks was about a dozen — and Sunday's dramatic deaths stunned Lebanese.
Some 5,000 protesters gathered in downtown Beirut, attacking a U.N. building and burning American flags, shouting: "Destroy Tel Aviv! Destroy Tel Aviv!" and chanting for Hezbollah ally Syria to hit Israel. Another protest by about 50 people on a road leading to the U.S. Embassy forced security forces to close the road.
Images of children's bodies tangled in the building's ruins and being carried away on blankets or wrapped in plastic sheeting were aired on Arab news networks. Lebanese security officials said.
In Qana, Khalil Shalhoub was helping pull out the dead until he saw his brother's body taken out on a stretcher.
"Why are they killing us? What have we done?" he screamed.
Israel said Hezbollah had fired more than 40 rockets from Qana before the airstrike, including several from near the building that was bombed. Foreign Ministry official Gideon Meir accused Hezbollah of "using their own civilian population as human shields."
It said residents had been warned to leave, but Shalhoub and others in Qana said residents were too terrified to take the road out. The road to the nearest main city, Tyre, is lined with charred wreckage and smashed buildings from repeated Israeli bombings.
More than 750,000 Lebanese have fled their homes in the fighting. But many thousands more are still believed holed up in the south, taking refuge in schools, hospitals or basements of apartment buildings amid the fighting.
On Thursday, the Israeli military's Al-Mashriq radio that broadcasts into southern Lebanon warned residents their villages would be "totally destroyed" if missiles were fired from them. Leaflets with similar messages were dropped in some areas Saturday.
Israel on Sunday also launched its second significant ground incursion into southern Lebanon. Before dawn, Israeli forces backed by heavy artillery fire crossed the border and clashed with Hezbollah guerrillas in the Taibeh Project area, as far as 2.5 miles inside Lebanon.
Hezbollah said eight Israeli soldiers were killed. The Israeli military said only that four soldiers were wounded when guerrillas hit a tank with a missile.
Health Minister Muhammad Jawad Khalifeh said more than 750 Lebanese were believed dead, including more than 200 people buried in the rubble around the south or reported missing.
Thirty-three Israeli soldiers have died, and Hezbollah rocket attacks on northern Israel have killed 18 civilians, Israeli authorities said.
Many in the Arab world and Europe see the United States as holding the key to the conflict, believing that Israel would stop its offensive — sparked by Hezbollah's July 12 abduction of two Israeli soldiers — if top ally Washington insisted.
The United States has balked at doing so, saying any cease-fire must ensure real and lasting peace.
Rice came to the Mideast with a peace package calling for disarming Hezbollah, releasing Israel's soldiers, deploying a U.N.-mandated force in south Lebanon and establishing a buffer zone along the border.
Hopes were raised earlier in the week when Hezbollah signed onto a Lebanese government peace plan containing some similar items — though it left disarmament and deployment of the international force for later and dependent on conditions. Chief among those conditions was that Israel release Lebanese in its jails and agree to resolve a dispute over a piece of land it holds claimed by Lebanon.
Saniora said those ideas still stand but Lebanon would not discuss them until the fighting stops.
Lebanese President Emile Lahoud lashed out at the United States, saying that if it was "serious, it can make Israel cease firing ... They (Americans) are still giving the green light to Israel to continue its aggression against Lebanon."