Monday, December 19, 2005

The Cost of War

We all know that big huge number that certain sites put out, about the cost of the war, moving at a speed we can barely see. It becomes a number so vast, that it's hard to see it in real numbers, as real people, struggling to live a life in a new America that only sees your value as a milk cow for whatever huge endeavor is on the table at the moment. Those are real people that pay that. It's YOUR money. And it hurts some far more than others. More than most of you will ever know. Those new troops, that new weaponry. Pales in comparison with a mom trying to figure out how the hell to feed her kids on a budget that grows smaller when the government asks for more and more of your money. This is the real deal. Linda is a real person, a grandmother raising her two grandkids by herself. She's not rich, she's not well off, she's like everybody else, just trying to get by and do what's right. If this doesn't hit you where you live and breathe, then you quite simply ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

HOW MUCH DOES A MISSILE COST?

Evilgrin



Can anyone justify this? I know that for myself, I'm going to be cut off of services next month. I'm raising two grandkids, but swooop! I'm going to be cut off. I have no car, no home of my own, and no child care.. so... that's what they do, if you can't participate in "workfare". It makes me sick to my stomach, but that's how it's going to work. It'll leave me with about 200 a month to live on. That's not going to help me save up for ANYTHING, much less a car.

That's my very real example of how this all works. Sure, you read the articles, you hear the reports, but you don't really understand it until it happens to you, or someone you know. Let me be the person you know, so that there don't have to be others.

I asked my worker what happens to people who don't even have family to live with. She said that then, childrens services steps in and basically takes the children. Um.. what conservative value does that go with??? It proves how out of touch duhbya is, truly! Apparently the same goes for congress. They just voted for a bunch more cuts in services.

The entire thing strikes me as insane. They apparently don't get the whole trickle-down thing. I guess they just want to pretend that we don't exist. They won't be able to, though. More poor, the crime rate is going to rise.. and that affects all of us. Also, people who are poor can't go out and buy things... so.. less sales, prices go up, and so on.

There is a huge division happening in this country. I don't think it's been this bad since the depression. There are rich, and there are poor. The "middle class" is going by the wayside. Anyone else notice that?

Linda

Linda G. Richard
dazey@charter.net
dazey@briskweb.net
Oregon Coast

No comments: